The Essay Contest
Even at 12, I was a little cretin who had never helped anyone or given generously with my heart even once, but i had a vivid imagination, so i crafted a story in which my friends and I were cleaning up trash on the beach, which inspired other people to do so, which resulted in a great big orgiastic scene of spontaneous-community-service-induced-love in which we all lived happily ever after.
It didn’t go exactly like that, I don’t know. it was a long time ago. but I do know that it was a completely fabricated story in which I helped people, garnished with musings about love and community or whatever and I felt pretty smug submitting it.
So imagine how I feel when they fly Mom and I across the island archipelago to Honolulu and have me stand up in front of a full ballroom of friendly distinguished islanders with my bowl cut hair over my eyes accepting the award and generous cash prize that accompanied it for an essay I wrote about a thing I didn’t do.
It was truly at that moment that i realized we live in a society and nothing is real. My personal joker moment.

Comments
Post a Comment