Lost Writing
I lost so much writing in September 2021.
I started doing this in January 2021, when COVID was starting to feel like a joke and I could feel the rest of my life slipping away. I started typing to myself in my room in Los Angeles every night for no reason at all.
One day, 6 months later, in one of my my most epic personal blunders, all of my writing was vaporized instantly. I use the Notes App to write everything. And for some reason, when I unchecked a box in System Preferences which said “Sync to all devices,” every single note saved on my laptop and nowhere else was suddenly and permanently gone.
I paid no mind at first. Surely, it can’t be this easy to delete so many notes. Surely Apple has some kind of protection in place for someone like me who has made a home for themselves on the Notes app. Surely there is some kind of guard rail for dopes like me with no back up. There was no such guard rail.
I was distraught. I wrote a note about it. I pathetically messaged one of the big “vulnerable” writing guys I was inspired by on twitter. He enjoys a medium level of internet fame. He replied to me. He told me to keep writing. You’ll replace it in no time. I didn’t need his advice. I was addicted then and I am addicted now. It’s not a choice any more.
Comments
Post a Comment